Old August 3rd 19, 11:29 AM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeRosa OHM Ω [url
http://aviation.derosaweb.net;996887]On[/url] Friday, August 2, 2019 at 2:21:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
For those of us lucky enough to have to put those pins in, the best tool is a really bright flashlight. It’s relatively easy if you can put a bright light right on the connection. It’s next to impossible to do it blind.

Swanson - I have to disagree on it being impossible to put the R-clip in blind. I suppose it all depends on the glider. My (beloved) DG-101 had a turtle deck hatch and no amount of lighting was going to help the situation of looking into a jet black hole surrounded by sun lit bright white gel coat.. You had to do it blind (especially the dive brakes which were located at the wing root).
I found that draping a nice big bath towel over my head and the surrounding fuselage kills the sunlight. A flashlight works then for final check .

After going the pin route the clips are a god send . You don't need to tie anything onto them to prevent them from falling into the abyss .