Old September 11th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Vario Comparison

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 2:30:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi all,

I've been looking for a good electrical vario for many years. Having good knowledge in both digital signal processing and gliding I know what to look for. First, a lot of pilots can't even recognise if the vario is compensated or not, let alone if it's fast/slow or even accurate. I've conducted test like these to get the real respons from varios: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=UfeGWYwVdas

I've owned the airglide and used it for about 200h. Airglide is not a good variometer, very unstable, the filtering is not done correctly. The LXnav /LXnavigation stuff I've flown with have also been quite bad. Old Zander ZS1/940 has a much better variometer. The modern stuff just haven't got the filtering or sensor precision correct. The only modern vario i've tested that was good is the westerboer vw1020: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=UfeGWYwVdas

More info at my homepage: http://niklaslofgren.net/gliding/var...ariometer.html

/Niklas

Your YouTube links did not have videos.