Old May 23rd 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Quality of kitplane designs?

wrote:
On May 21, 7:44 am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

btw I saw a really beautifully built RV6 landed a kiss on greaser on
its test flight then go plonk on to its nose as the nose leg broke
off. vans denied a problem. tisc tisc.

Yeah, and a buddy of mine saw an RV land on its nosewheel when the
pilot made a bad approach and forced it on. Porpoised down the runway
and broke the wheelpant. That sort of piloting is really common and
regularly breaks nosegears on Cessna 150s and 172s. That RV pilot flew
away again with the busted nosehweel in the baggage compartment, but
what damage has been done to the leg now, and when is it going to snap
off and cause a serious accident? And who will get the blame? Van's of
course, not the clumsy pilot who failed to get the thing NDI'd after
the incident. How often are RVs flipping over busted nosegears that
were abused by their owners? Can Van's be expected to produce idiot-
proof airplanes? Aren't we supposed to learn to fly so that fragile
structures like airplanes don''t get broken and don't need redesigning
to the point they're too heavy to fly?

Dan

The day someone invents an idiot proof system someone else will
invent a better idiot.

When I started learning to land my instructor pointed out that just
because the runway was long doesn't mean you have to float the entire
length. Next landing he explained to me there was a happy medium between
the light landing I had done before and the heavy one I had just done. I
decided to listen to him.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired