Old July 22nd 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Antennae

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 5:30:12 PM UTC-4, George Haeh wrote:
"Apparently I was not clear enough above.
Do NOT put both transponder antenna and a FLARM antenna in the vertical fin."

Could you share the reasons and data supporting this statement?

I'll give you 3 reasons not to put the PowerFLARM antenna in the vertical fin.
1- It is a very low power device and antenna losses matter.
2- The elevator push rod will do no good things for performance.
3- There is no reason to do so. There are many well functioning systems with the A antenna up front as suggested. The higher the better.
Reason for not putting the transponder antenna in the fin? The suppliers of the devices say best performance is on the bottom of the aircraft.

FWIW
UH