Old September 5th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Fatal accident in Scotland

bagmaker wrote:
Has anyone used such a temporary strut system for winching?

I wouldn't like that: you need the wings level, which would require a
very long support.

....snippage....

I have long been considering a flexible strut (think Falke) inbuilt to
the winglet/trailing edge of new gliders (mainly SLMGs) to assist in
lone take-offs.

This strut would rotate electrically with the landing gear actuation
and although limited to the height of the winglet, would keep the tip
well off the ground during landing and takeoff.
I offered the idea to Jonkers in full but got no reply- would anyone
else like to run with it?

Why limit it to the winglet height? Let it trail - it may not look
pretty but it could be longer, would be low drag and does not need the
TE to be thickened.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK