Old July 17th 03, 02:48 PM
Richard Kaplan

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

WAAS is offering approaches where there are none now, so the GPS is giving
me an option where none existed before. A RAIM alert does not disable your

I think GPS and WAAS are both very desirable in the National Airspace
System -- no one is arguing otherwise.

The point is simply that we cannot realistically have an airspace system
with nothing but GPS for navigation.

There are ways for GPS to be jammed over a wide enough area to prevent
having a realistic alternate, either intentionally or otherwise.

There have also been GPS NOTAMs prohibiting enroute operations over various
regions.

All of aviation is predicated on having a "Plan B" - Dismantling the VOR/ILS
system will leave pilots with no Plan B except radar vectors and ASR
approaches, and that just does not seem realistic or desirable to me.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com