Old May 11th 05, 04:59 AM
Matt Barrow

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used?

40 feet at http://www.airnav.com/airport/F14 (Wichita Valley Airport at
Wichita Falls, Texas).

At what runway width are you
comfortable?

40 feet wasn't too bad, but I'd hate it in a crosswind....probably go
elsewhere.

Among other things, I had an interesting experience yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

On very short final, it became obvious that this strip redefined narrow.
Accoring to the AFD, it is 50' wide, but what the AFD didn't say is that

3'
tall sagebrush grows right to the edge of the strip, and occasionally cuts
into the 50' useful width. Given that 3' sagebrush will hit the RV-6's
wingtips, I probably had 10'-12' clear on each side. Catching the

sagebrush
with a wingtip would have almost certainly caused a groundloop.

Brush on the edge would, in your case, definitely be a potential problem

The 40 footer at F14 just barely covered my 38' wingspan. When I was there a
KingAir was taking off and I had to watch!! :~)