Old February 18th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Kevlar - Styrofoam material, where to get more

I apologize, this is unrelated to aviation, but it is a question about
a material some of you may be familiar with. I recently found this
material in my lab, and for the life of me, I can not find out where
it came from. It is perfect for a project I am currently working on,
and I would love to find where I can order more.

It basically looks like Styrofoam with a kevlar shell. I cut off a
sample and took some pictures:

http://losingallhope.com/temp/weirdmaterial1.jpg
http://losingallhope.com/temp/weirdmaterial2.jpg
http://losingallhope.com/temp/weirdmaterial3.jpg
http://losingallhope.com/temp/weirdmaterial4.jpg
http://losingallhope.com/temp/weirdmaterial5.jpg

One side is just the kevlar type material with the kevlar texture, the
other side is also kevlar, but painted black and smooth to the touch.
It is extremely lightweight and very strong. We have a piece that
looks like it was 4'x6' or so, and was used to hold solar cells.

If you know anything about what this material is and where I might be
able to get more, I would love you.