Old October 31st 04, 06:29 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
"Roger Worden" wrote:

I'm preparing for my Private test, and in discussing it with the local FAA
examiner, he indicated that one item on the test is a landing with no drag
devices, using only a turning and forward slips. As he explained it, the
task in the PTS is to demonstrate the ability to land totally WITHOUT
airbrakes, to simulate a landing wherein the airbrakes have failed.

We don't do that here but I think it's a bull**** thing to ask for in a
modern glider, unless your airfield or *huge* or you don't mind bending
the glider because your airbrakes really *have* failed.

It's probably OK in a 2-33 which with the airbrakes closed flies about
like a modern glider with the airbrakes open [1], but it's not exactly a
good idea in a Blanik, let alone anything glass.

[1] ok, I'm exaggerating

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-