Old October 31st 04, 05:22 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 05:50:43 GMT, "Roger Worden"
wrote:

I'm preparing for my Private test, and in discussing it with the local FAA
examiner, he indicated that one item on the test is a landing with no drag
devices, using only a turning and forward slips. As he explained it, the
task in the PTS is to demonstrate the ability to land totally WITHOUT
airbrakes, to simulate a landing wherein the airbrakes have failed.

This requirement is one of the major bull**** things I ever had the
pleasure of reading on RAS.

My advice - get some other FAA examiner. This one obviously doesn't
know anything about gliding.

Throughout my training I've practiced many turning slips to FINAL APPROACH
(to lose altitude) without airbrakes, but I have always ended the slip and
landed normally by using the airbrakes.

I bet that this FAA examiner has never done that either in a modern
glider with an L/D over 30 - otherwise he's know that it's going to
take a runway of *at least* 6.000 ft and a sideslip to *very* low
altitude to be able to land without using the airbrakes.

Bye
Andreas