Old December 28th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default New Silver Distance Rules?

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 1:06:31 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I doubt you could submit a flight flown under old rules.* Can you
not do another flight before going to Germany?

You might query the SSA if a qualified OO from another country could
observe for your badge legs, or you might join the local
organization to work on your badges.* I don't see why citizenship in
the country where the flight is accomplished would matter.* Who
knows - you could come home with a "D" on your completed badge
rather than an "N".

Dan - I have to agree with you on the likelihood, thought I'd ask a wider, smarter body of people than me. I am in Germany now. I've visited one possible glider club* and hope to visit another this weekend. Cross country soaring is very popular as you can imagine, so I expect I'll have many chances.

There is no "D" on German badges. They invented them, so all the other countries get letters. Other than A, B, and C I didn't notice any interest in badges when I flew here 2011-2013. OLC is the big thing - all you need is a GPS logger and an account. No arcane/archaic rules.

The SSA let me substitute a German instructor for the required SSA Instructor for the Bronze written test.

My German's pretty good, but I can barely understand the FAI rules in English!

Thanks for the feed back!

Terry

*Flew a Super Dimona on one of the few sunny days in the month I've been here. Never flown a motor glider before; enjoyed it!