Old December 3rd 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

Default What First Glider to own?

Sparky,
A few years ago I made a quasi-scientific weighted chart to determine
the best glider to buy, and in your price range it's a Libelle. Very
good value, light and easy to rig. Might give it a look.

I would also recommend a Libelle:

Nearly everyone holds Libelles as beautiful and I couldn't agree more.

Light wings and easiest to rig.

Automatic control hookups except for the ailerons. Ailerons connect with
simple pins that are permanently attached on 201 Libelles. The
connections are also conveniently located and in plain sight.

Very well engineered. Not many AD's.

Very good finish quality.

Excellent climb in weak conditions.

Overall performance is good enough that you won't "outgrow" it in a
couple of seasons. Sports/Club class handicap is competitive.

My own preference is the 301 Libelle simply because the flap handle
gives me something to do with my left hand (prevents blindness on long
x-country flights), the "low" canopy looks cool, and the tailchute
impresses the chicks. However, standard Libelles handle better and are
much more plentiful.

Alternatives:

The Standard Cirrus is a real joy as well. I absolutely love the light
controls on the Cirrus.

Expensive parts or not, I would never dismiss an LS-4 if you can find
one and can afford it. There has never been a better 1st glider than an
LS-4.

A Discus would be about as good as the LS-4 for a first glider, but with
the better performance, you would keep it longer.

ASW-19's are OK, but overpriced for performance because they look sexy.
ASW-15's are is great handling since they are bascially a glass Ka-6,
but you'll outgrow one too quickly if you fly much x-country or race.

H301 Libelle #19, "WB"