Old February 6th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Feb 6, 5:56*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Feb 6, 3:38*pm, wrote:

There are no provisions for this in Winscore .
The RC position on these devices is that they are not permissible
under the long
established rules philosophy and they will not be allowed to be used,
The RC is working with
Butterfly to determine how best to remove this feature during
competition while not adding to
the work load of the scorer and other contest workers.
This has not yet been determined.
I will provide more information on this as it becomes available.
UH
RC Chair

Hank, what is the RC position on PDA/PNA software such as LK8000,
which has a functioning "turn-coordinator" page? *Sure it says not to
use it for instrument flight, but it sure looks like it could be used
for a little cloud busting -or for getting down through a surprise
cloud layer, which is actually a nice feature and why it is included,
I'm sure.

Ditto some of the Garmin hand-held GPSs, which have a GPS-derived
"panel".

Of course, these are not gyro instruments, so cannot be legally used
for instrument flying, of course...

Kirk
66

Read 6.6.1 and draw your own conclusions based upon what you know
about these devices.
If a pilot is using and instrument- PDA's with software could fall
into this catagory, that permits flight without reference
to the horizon, he or she is not in conformity with our rules.
UH