Old October 21st 07, 07:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Default Airports and Air Strips Diego Garcia.jpg (1/1)

Wayne Paul wrote:

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote in message

CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

Mitchell Holman wrote:

(J.F.) wrote in news:EvcSi.8861$sm6.7965
:

begin 644 Diego Garcia.jpg

Attachment decoded: Diego Garcia.jpg
`
end

Ah! Good old French Frigate Shoals. Back in the old days of chasing
Soviet missile launch telemetry boats around the Pacific, FFS was "The"
place to be. Can you say crowded with three (count 'em) Three C130's
packed with "stuff" sitting there at one time just like an aircraft
carrier early morning launch of the dawn patrol.

Cheers,

Dave

PS: Fishing was great....

You musta bin thar' during the "monkey" dayz.

By the mid 1980's, most buildings were prestressed concrete, paved roads
and even a sizable operational terminal building.

JT

(Two contracts: 1989-90 and 1992-93)

It seems we have two places being mentioned here. Diego Garcia and French
Frigate Shoals. I am sure JT's above comments refer to Diego Garcia. I
personally don't remember anything I would call roads on the French Frigate
Shoals airfield which measures only 3,000' by 500'. (See attached Google
Earth file.)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Ye'r exactly correct.

I gotta blame ol' Dave fer cluttering up my mind...

JT