Old August 13th 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]

Default FS: Softie Mini

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 1:22:46 PM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
Due to an upgrade to a steerable chute I am selling my Softie Mini
Made 1998 and last packed last year it is still in very good condition
Color blue, std release
Open to sensible offers

I think this is a summary of some '20 year life limit' myths,
Civilian use parachutes were evaluated and received "TSO" approval back in the '60s, '70's, and the original manufactured specifications had no life limits.
sometime in the 1990-2000's the recreational parachute industry, and a vocal Guy, (Allen Silver or some such name) expressed an opinion that a rig should have a life limit. also in the 1980's there was an acid issue with some materials used in the production of parachutes which introduced a concern of "undetectable deficiencies" in the strength and reliability of parachutes.
As this opinion became more widespread, it has resulted in a culture among riggers to refuse to inspect or pack a rig based on age.
Complicating the issue was an adoption of this opinion into some manuals of parachutes by manufacturers. These changes in the manuals can be interpreted as mandatory, but were not the result of a change in the original TSO.
Also, Military parachutes have a life limit, and some countries do impose a life limit, I think Germany has a federally imposed life limit.

Please, anyone with a more solid grasp on the facts, chime in.
respect,
Scott