Old October 20th 03, 12:56 PM
Roger Long

Having just been through the FAR's, had several phone calls with AOPA, and
read a bunch of stuff, I can tell you that trying to figure it out straight
from the FAR's is what would require a lawyer to review each flight. Easy to
say "Fly in accordance with FAR's", our by-laws already do, but it's
actually very complicated to do in this area. Most of the stuff you need to
know about compensation isn't in the FAR's but buried in case law and
letters of opinion from FAA counsel.

We're making it simple, follow these short, clear rules, and you should be
safe from all but the most over the top FAA action. The club also has an
interest in avoiding any gray areas or pushing the envelope because we don't
want to be volunteering our time to splitting hairs with the FAA or
insurance company.

--
Roger Long

Roger Tracy wrote in message:

It seems to me the club is making it way too complicated. Does a member
need to hire a lawyer to review each flight they make to insure

compliance?
Just state that all flights must be made in compliance with FARs and be
done with it. Are the members actually in favor of all this?