Old July 11th 03, 02:55 PM
Alan Dicey

Ralph Savelsberg wrote:

Several RAF Harrier GR3s were used in the
conflict, flying from HMS Hermes and/or HMS invincible. I think they
were transported to the South Atlantic on an actual transport ship
(probably a Royal Fleet Auxilary) and were flown to the carrier(s) from
the decks of the transport in a one way trip. I really strongly doubt
the RN disguising some of its ships as cargo vessels.

The merchant vessel "Atlantic Conveyor,a container ship, was used to
transport eight Sea Harriers and six GR.3's from Ascension Island to the
Falklands, adding to the six Navy Wessex and five RAF Chinook
helicopters she had on board from Devonport. She had been converted at
Devonport to have an aircraft and helicopter support role, complete with
flight deck, fuelling and maintenance facilities. The Harriers were
stowed on the deck wrapped in specially-made protective sheeting, all
except one Sea Harrier that was spotted on the flight deck ready for
action as defensive measure.

The page below

http://freespace.virgin.net/gordon.s...33weekfive.htm

has a picture showing "Atlantic Conveyor" practising Sea Harrier
landings before sailing south.

On reaching the Falklands, the Harriers were all flown off to Hermes and
Invincible, but only one Chinook was got away before Atlantic Conveyor
was sunk.