Old April 1st 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Towplane-Baron accident

JP,

My father, a highly competitive soaring pilot, died in a sailplane accident in 1978 during the US Nationals at Minden. I was told during his funeral that I would probably not take up flying My response has always been that events in the lives of other people are not restrictions on my life, but that there are always things to learn from tragic circumstances. Unfortunately, in my father's case, there has never been a clear explanation of the cause, (But JJ's article "Don't Smack the Mountain" is probably the best guess)

In spite of that, I've been flying since 1985, now with more than 5500 hours (more than three times my father's hours) and while I've had my share of close calls, I've enjoyed flying.

As noted above, each time we step into an aircraft we increase our risks. Some time in the future we may encounter a fatal error, perhaps not of our own making. In the mean time I'm delighted to be able to fly and experience the feelings it gives me.

I understand your loss, look for joy in the rest of life.

Mike