Old April 1st 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default sailcar speed record

On Apr 1, 2:30*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:53:10 -0700, BT wrote:
There are 3 dry lakes in the Ivanpah Valley, Ivanpah, Roach and Jean Dry
Lakes. We use the east part of Roach for safari and auto tow launches
twice a year. Check them out on Google Earth. Go to Jean or Primm NV and
then north and south.

I hadn't realized where Ivanpah was in NV and hadn't looked it up on a
map, but I know where Jean Dry Lake is, though I haven't been there.

Thanks for both location and surface data.

At a guess on that sort of surface more down force and wider tyres would
both tend to reduce the speed.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It's interesting to me that the "Iron Duck" (previous record holder)
site gives a fair number of specs for their sailcar, including weight,
dimensions, airfoil, span, area, etc.. The Greenbird doesn't. I
thought the Greenbird's approach to sail AOA was elegant. It appears
to pivot freely, and use the vertical stab as we would use an elevator
to maintain the 'wing' AOA.
Hey Bob K! Got an extra HP-24 wing??