Old August 30th 19, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Landing with broken rudder cable

On 8/30/2019 9:17 AM, BG wrote:
As an instructor, I practice this scenario in a Grob 103. Choose a
direction and nail the rudder to the floor. We practice holding a heading
and use of spoilers. Pretty much everyone agrees you could probably crash
land and with good timing and luck everything will get to the ground
unharmed. Maintaining airspeed prevents hint of a stall spin.

I also practice no ailerons or elevator using only the rudders and trim.
Most are surprised how much control you have.

I highly recommend practicing with your own glider starting from a safe
altitude. It will mentally prepare you for options that you might not want
to explore for the first time in a real situation.

Other hands off things to practice is going into a cloud, letting go of the
controls and see what your glider does. most will oscillate on pitch and
quite a few will enter a spiral dive.

Bailing out you save yourself, while putting the rest of the world at risk.
Plenty of stories of pilots landing in urban areas that have had these
thoughts and did the right thing saving countless lives and property on the
ground. Better to crash land in a field, than to have your plane fall to
the ground while you float down in your chute.

BG

On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 9:36:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Long time ago I landed glider with broken rudder...

Snip...

"What Buzz wrote." (And, for the record, I don't know the man.)

A little prep - mental and otherwise - can go a long way toward maximizing
potential for a good outcome in the face of a bad situation, regardless of the
*reason* for the bad situation. Kinda like the (apocryphal?) Navy pilot who
allegedly responded to the clueless-reporter-type gushing about the
"instantaneous decision" to eject in the "unexpected case" of a low-energy cat
shot. "That decision was made a long time ago." Certain scenarios are simply
unsalvageable. Others...not the case.

Is there a soaring pilot alive who hasn't had mental time on hand while doing
some flag-pole-sitting prior to landing and toyed with the concept of "boredom?"

YMMV.
Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com