Old October 27th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Default 17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 11:54:34 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
I just returned from the LAK factory in Lithuania where I discovered to my great surprise my former Ventus C (22 Tango) fully restored and ready to fly. The new owner, Martynas Bykovas would like to find a pair of 17.6 meter tips to enhance his soaring in the mild lift conditions prevalent in Lithuania. Does anyone have such available?

Never heard of any available, but....

I purchased a Ventus B #61 with 17.6 tips back in 2001 and flew it for 15 great years. My previous glider was a Ventus B with the 16.6 tips. The 17.6 tips made the Ventus incredibly mellow to fly, and allowed a stall speed of 34 kts. In light air I could usually look down on everyone else. And, in stronger air it ran very well, dry or wet. In thermals (weak or strong) it climbed exceptionally well. It was the most fun glider I ever flew.

The previous owner was planning to put on 16.6 tips, happened upon Klaus at a contest, who suggested the 17.6 tips, so he bought and installed them.

As I retired from the sport 2 years ago, I sold the glider to a guy in Oregon. Still have lots of fine memories of that 17.6 meter bird! And photos of, and photos from. It was so stable in flight, it made an excellent aerial photography platform.