Old October 28th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Default 17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 5:52:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm sure the 17.6 tips help the Ventus B a lot, but high speed could present a problem.................remember the guy that added unauthorized tip extensions that worked great until he started a high speed final glide. As some point, the wing twisting (leading edge down) started increasing the speed until full back elevator wasn't enough to stop it!............ Pilot is no longer with us!
If I was flying a 17.6 Ventus B, I'd back off 20 knots (or more) on the VNE and Rough air redline.
Hope this helps,
JJ

The 17.6 m addition on Ventus B #61 was NOT UNauthorized, but was authorized by the designer. He obviously knew what he was talking about. Neither I nor the owner before me ever had any problems at high speeds in 2450 hours of airtime, mostly in the strong thermal west. We're still here. But there's certainly nothing wrong with being careful and flying slower in any glider. I did my share of that, too.