Old December 12th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 11:33:05 AM UTC-8, Bob Whelan wrote:
Entire prologue snipped...

This is the kind of isolationism that worked quite well.

until December 7, 1941.

Sheesh...

Your point being George Santayana was correct in observing that those who fail
to learn the lessons of history are destined to repeat it?

Lessee...prior to"isolationism" - (You stay out or our face, and we'll stay
out of yours.) - there was a whole lot of appeasement to go around on the
European continent...after a decade or so of the League of Nations ignoring
more-or-less-global (e.g. Asia/Africa) aggressions...which was clearly the
United States' fault since the very idea of the League can be laid at Woodrow
Wilson's feet...after the European (and here I include the European part of
Czarist Russia) continent went nuts over an overly exuberant burst of
nationalism in the Balkans...

I think savvy readers get the idea. It shouldn't be necessary to nod toward
the fact United States forces bailed out Europe's squabbling butts twice (in
both global conflicts). But, hey, RASidents can all look on the bright side:
WW-I arguably led to the development of soaring as we know it today!

Looks like it may be a long northern winter on RAS...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Exactly, "Your point being .. was correct in observing that those who fail
to learn the lessons of history are destined to repeat it..."

Time and time again history has shown when you start a moral, political, social debate on a SOARING newsgroup you are bringing the rest of the group into discussion they did not sign up for, so let us respect the other members of the group, and conduct ourselves accordingly! Another little know fact, it is entirely possible to let a small quip about another's country go unchallenged as in this group most likely it was issued in jest. Happy Christmas spirit all!