Old March 31st 05, 05:14 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Julian Scarfe wrote:
In some cases, different areas within states have different transition
altitudes for ATC purposes. For example in the UK, the general transition
altitude is 3000 ft, but within the horizontal extent of the London TMA it
becomes 6000 ft.

And, if I remember correctly, for VFR in most instances you can fly
altitude rather than flight level (but when you talk to ATC it's
important to make the distinction). For example, going home the other
day, I was flying altitude 4000 over the Pennines, but didn't change to
flight levels once over the Irish Sea now I was over 3000' AGL - I just
told Ronaldsway I was 'altitude 4000' when I checked in with them.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net