Old October 1st 03, 06:18 PM
John Morgan

In the airport environment, I believe a low pass is akin to a go-around or
an aborted landing attempt. How could it reasonably be considered a
violation of 91.119? When flying an instrument approach and breaking out, it
is also common for aircraft to "circle to land" at a runway other than that
flown on the approach. This circling is often lower to the ground than 500
feet.

I have asked for and received clearance from the tower at Napa, CA, for low
passes in both power and glider. Approval for overhead break approaches, etc
are also routinely given.
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
91.119 Except for TO & landing, 1000' over congested areas or within

500'
of person, vessel, vehicle or structure if in sparse area or over open
water.

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Isn't there an FAR that says aviators will not fly below 500 feet, if

over
people, places or things, unless they are in the act of landing? This

question
was asked by a pilots wife/crew at a nationals. Her motorhome was

located
on a
permanently closed runway about 500 feet from the active runway. The

finish
line was over the closed runway. I didn't have an answer for her, do

you?
JJ Sinclair

---