Old November 7th 04, 03:32 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Robert:

Thanks for the history. Having personally "tested" the integrety of the
LAK-17 wing (and fuselage) in a nasty ground-loop accident, my impression is
that it's incredibly strong. Vytautas' name being on the papers as having
performed the test flight for my ship would seem to be a reasonable vote of
confidence given the experience you relate.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

"Robertmudd1u" wrote in message
You've actually been to the factory, I haven't, but, it is my
understanding that all production LAK-17A models (not the early '90s
LAK-17, which I mistakenly called the "LAK-16") have carbon rod spars.
The LAK-17A was advertised as having ~120 lb wings, and early serial
numbers do have wings in that weight range. When we received ours and
discovered that the wings were ~140 lbs, we complained, and were told
that the spars were beefed up to reduce flexing.

Marc,

I worked at S.A. from Jan. '96 to July. '99. All very interesting, and I
have
made some life long friends. I go back for visits every other year.

The first of the "new" LAK-17 wings were indeed rather flexible. Making
them
stiffer happened after I left. They must have added more than just
additional
carbon rod to gain 20 lbs. per wing. The weight of all the carbon rods for
one
wing is rather small. As a benchmark the Genesis 2 wings averaged 131 lbs.
And
they have a lot more wing area than the LAK-17, but they are also thicker
which
helps a lot in keeping the weight down.

I flew a LAK-17 at the Pociunai aerodrome in '99 and found it to be a very
nice
glider to fly. My lasting memory was of the great power of the rudder.

Robert Mudd