Old July 22nd 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_1_]

Default Cobra Cosmetics II: How to Refinish?

Detco Sterling sells a two part linear polyurethane (the ultra glossy,
long-lasting Imron type stuff) that has a special catalyst that allows
it to be applied by brush. It has flow-out characteristics that allow
amazing results. My father has used it on boats in S. California for
years. He painted a couple of his cars with it and had a number of
other people asking him to paint their cars with it for them when they
saw the results. I think it would be ideal for painting a fiberglass
glider trailer (or maybe even the glider). It's expensive but worth
it. You can get it through WestMarine. This page has more info:
http://tinyurl.com/jh2xf

wrote:

An amazing (to me) amount of interest in refreshing
faded vinyl trim
strips indicates pilots are serious about making their
[gliders'] rides
look good. But what about the trailer itself? My 14-year-old
glass-top
Cobra has a few cracks, nicks, etc., that will require
work this
winter. Matching the existing gel coat looks tough.
And I'd rather save
my refinishing money for the glider itself some day.
So what's been the
experience repairing/refinishing/painting German glass-top
trailers?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 'JB'