Old August 3rd 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

Default Missing flight plans

Dave Butler wrote:
Paul kgyy wrote:
Twice in 2 days I've filed VFR flight plans only to have FSS unable to
find them when I called on radio after takeoff. One was filed through
Duats at 9PM for noon next day (and left at noon). The other was filed
with a briefer at Terre Haute at 10PM for 8AM next day (and left on
time).

In both cases I had to re-file over the radio.

DUAT should be able to trace back through their logs and find out what happened.
It will help if you have the transaction number from when you filed.

A couple of ways I've had flight plans lost:
- filed with FSS, and the N-number had some digits transposed.
- filed with DUAT, and I miscalculated the zulu departure time.

I've filed withi DUAT planning to use a specific club plane. then I
get to the airport and that one has a squawk so I take a different
plane. I've had good luck when that happens calling up ATC and telling
them that I'd like to open a flight plan that was filed with tail
number x but I need change the tail number to y and open it. I've done
this with VFR palns. So there is some flexibility there. Of course in
that case I knew what the "wrong" tail number was, if I had made a typo
they probably would never have found it.