Old September 12th 08, 11:24 AM posted to us.military.navy,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military,rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default Russian Tu-160 Blackjack bombers land in Venezuela - Peter the

On Sep 11, 8:09*pm, "William Black"
wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 5:50 pm, "William Black"
wrote:

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 11:21 am, "William Black"
wrote:

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 10:47 am, " wrote:

On Sep 11, 10:36 am, "William Black"
wrote:

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

On Sep 11, 7:24 am, Bill Kambic wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:46:02 -0700 (PDT), Rob Arndt

wrote:
This is only news if the West chooses to make it news; otherwise,
it
is really nothing extraordinary, nor will it bring back the Cold
War...

The Cold War is over and is as much a part of history as the
American
Civil War.

What you see now is a resurgence of Russian Nationalism and a new
round of the The Great Game. If more prople studied history they
would know what they are looking at.

Yes, think of grandpop back in the 1890s, pulling his old uniform
out
of the trunk, brushing it off and wearing it into town on the Fourth
of July.

-----------------------

Or, more to the point, the men of Quantrill's Raiders dressing up in
their
old uniforms to have a reunion on the date of their raid on Lawrence
Kansas.

During the American Civil War they were treated very like al Quaida
men
are
being treated today.

--
William Black

Deservedly so. Actually, al Qaeda guys at least have the
possibility of a trial.

I will say that my grandparents and great grandparents lived for a
while in Jamesport Missouri. I think they would not share your opinion
of the fake colonel. He claimed he got a colonelcy in Richmond but no
one else knew about it.

-------------------------

Quantrill and Anderson most certainly did have commissions.

The issue of Quantrill's colonel's commission is gone into in great
detail
in a book called 'the Devil Knows How to Ride' and the conclusion seems
be that:

1. He was certainly commissioned, he is noted in several letters by men
who had no reason to admire him as having used it to avoid
'conventional'
military service for his men.

2. He led a group of regimental size with a number of officers under
him.

The title 'colonel' was probably as valid as any other officer of that
rank
who commanded a 'locally raised unit'.

It is interesting to note that Anderson, another 'Missouri guerrilla'
who
certainly had a valid commission, this one from Sterling Price, is
referred to as 'Major Anderson' in his orders, also from Sterling
Price...

Maybe you could give me a page for that cite.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rJN...lpg=PA119&dq=t...

Can't, sorry, I no longer own the book.

I gave you the online address of the Google copy

-------------------------------

I looked, *I even asked it to download, I can't get it to open...

But I rang up the guy who has my copy and he says that the footnote on page
294 refers to Quantrill's commission and the fact that he's referred to as
'captain' in several official confederate documents.

--
William Black

All these moments will be lost in time, *like icecream on the beach
Time for tea.

I wonder. No one will admit that they commissioned Quantrill at the
time, everything seems to be made up. Even a pay voucher can lie, God
knows they did for a lot of Mosby's antics and he was one of the
"good" rangers. With the abolishment of the partisan rangers I would
assume Quantrill would lose his commission whatever it was. By the
way we seem to have had this same discussion in February (which year
isn't made clear). Do a "search this group" for Quantrell/Quantrill.
"Don't be parochial"