Old July 26th 07, 10:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Don Pyeatt

Default I just have to get it off my chest.

"gnububba" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:32:43 -0500, "Don Pyeatt"

...snippage here, sorry...
Unfortunately, after all the subjective comparisons you used, you have not
answered my basic question. To repeat:

Other than yEnc, "What will your agent do that OE will not?"

This former CP/M and DOS user just wants a straight answer.

Please be objective.

Don

Hi Don,

This is for information only but here is a brief list of things I find
important every day which I believe OE won't do for me.

1. Automatically combine multiple part posts into a single line.

2. Allow more than one group to be open at a time.
(I can look through other groups while one is downloading.)

3. Allow a single post to be d/led 'right now' without having to stop
a d/l going on in another group. (Priority retrieval)

4. Allow Personalization of the toolbar with a choice of nearly any
function available in the reader.

5. Automatically add the filename to the Subject line of a post.

6. Permit changing how many headers to get on a one-time basis
without having to reset the default properties.

7. Allow different usage settings for_each individual group_rather
than a single set of options for all.

8. Correctly format quoted text without breaking it into spastic
little pieces and stringing it down an entire page. (I had to get
one dig in OK?)

Also some readers:
8. Exceed the options capability of OE by more than 10::1.

9. Exceed the filtering capability of OE by Light Years.

10. The nickel & dime conveniences are far too many to list.

Let me qualify. I used OE for over a year getting news and during that
time the list above seemed every bit as unimportant to me as it now
seems indispensable.

These threads are beyond weariness and will end only when OE is
repaired. Unfortunately all hope of that is now gone forever.
Microsoft ended development and it was officially killed last year.
Does the fact Microsoft itself has quit using it say anything?

I didn't want to take time learning another news reader and enjoyed
the groups using Outlook Express. I still thoroughly enjoy the groups
but using a program that is smart about what goes on in news groups
has saved me a lot of grief. I can spend what time there is available
looking through the groups rather than wondering what went wrong.

The most important part of this group are the people who have been
bringing pictures here day after day for years. Without them this news
reader is just as worthless as any other. They know who they are and
how they want to go about doing it.

Thank you,

And thank you for your objectivity ! I believe the question has been
answered succinctly, and with no references to VHS and Beta.

Thank you,

gdp