Old January 22nd 04, 08:35 PM
Jay Honeck

student
was too fearful to proceed, there ARE other things that get in the way of

person's desire to fly.

Flying is a very funny business that way.

Most people in aviation claim to be starving, but -- I suppose because
flying tends to attract a self-selected group of over-achieving, cocky
folks -- they seem to do everything possible to drive newbies away. It's
almost like watching an abused woman who flees from one abusive guy to the
next, all the while claiming to be "looking for love." You just start to
wonder what the hell they are THINKING when they act the way they do.

Roger Long has many stories to tell about the bizarre, head-in-the-sand
approach to maintenance that his flying club had, prior to his active
participation. And I've personally run into the elitist, "you're not one of
the crowd" attitude from supposed "old timers" at the airport, guaranteed to
scare away all but the most stubborn of students. It takes a long time to
"break in" to that clique, and I think it tends to shoo away a lot of
potential pilots.

Also, because there is very little structure to any of the FBO-run flight
schools, students are often left adrift, bouncing from one CFI to another.
The successful flying schools avoid all of these problems, and have a
welcoming, open atmosphere, with professional CFIs and well-maintained
aircraft. They *are* out there -- you've just got to find them.

This is why most pilots will tell you that at some point they had a true
mentor, someone who guided them through the Byzantine and frustrating
avenues of flying and aircraft ownership, on their way to achieving their
ticket.

But they can be hard to find. Which is another good reason to visit these
groups early and often. I wish they were required reading for ALL potential
flight students -- there is much to be learned here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA