Old February 1st 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Which overhauled Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine To Fit In My Archer ?

The Lycoming 0-360 A4M in our Archer is now 2250 SMOH and we are intending
to fit an exchange overhauled engine very soon.

The decision to pull the engine out was easy compared with trying to decide
on the engine to buy.
We have a number of quotes and researched factory and field overhaul
options.
Our list of choices has been narrowed down to the following all of which are
overhauled to new limits and fits.

1. Signature Engines - With new Millennium standard cast cylinders.
2. Penn Yan - With Penn Yan overhauled cylinders.
3. Penn Yan - With new Lycoming Cylinders.
4. Penn Yan - Millennium Certified Overhauled Engine
5. Lycoming factory overhaul with new cylinders.

The above engine options are listed from lowest to the highest price.
The prices range from $14,000 to $20,000.

In another recent posting somebody else commented:-
"If you paid out a lot of bucks for a new aircraft you would be sitting
behind a new Lycoming so why go anywhere else ?"
And indeed why would you go to anybody other than Lycoming, but the dollars
are very different !

A smooth running engine is very important and we will fit a new prop at the
same time.
As far as I have determined only the Millennium Certified engine has parts
balanced to published specified weight tolerances.

So help me make up my mind which engine I should go for because the
potential dollar savings are distracting me.

Thanks,

--
Roy - N5804F Piper Archer
"I have had some bad landings but I have never missed the runway ..... yet"