Old November 21st 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm rentals

When people die at an unacceptable rate?

Mid-air collisions involving gliders comprise about 2% of accidents,
although they are more likely to involve a fatality. *While higher
than we'd all like, the rate of mid-airs isn't all that high, IMHO.

I estimate that the US glider community is probably going to spend
something in excess of $3 million installing anti-collision warning
devices in the next year or two. *If this saves one fatality per year,
this is probably a reasonable return on investment, although I am
lukewarm on mandating adoption of equipment. *If it makes economic
sense, pilots will do it anyway. *If they perceive the risk of a mid-
air to be higher than it really is, then perhaps you'll get pretty
widespread adoption.

However, there are other things we can do that cost very little,
including setting contest tasks that minimize head-on traffic at
turnpoints - a major contributory factor in one recent fatality.

I also sincerely hope that our focus on mid-airs isn't diverting too
much energy away from other safety issues.

Mike

Not sure that overall soaring statistics are as useful as just looking
at contest stats, which are more grim. A lot more grim.

Otherwise couldn't agree more.