Old December 20th 03, 03:05 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: ?? Wasps flew Hurricanes and Spits??
From: vincent p. norris
Date: 12/19/03 4:33 PM Pacific Standard Time
While at the Wright Memorial earlier this week, I picked up a NASA
pamphlet entitled _Celebrating a Century of Flight_.

On page 13 there's a picture of Jackie Cochran with a caption quoting
her as saying, about the WASPS, "We landed planes like the Hurricane
and the Spitfire in fields where I wouldn't land my Lodestar today if
I could avoid it."

I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if the WASPS flew Huricanes
and Spits? If so, what were the circumstances?

vince norris

Thye sure did and in most cases qanded them on grass fields. Not a runway in
sight. And what with Brit weather these grass fields were often muddy and quite
dangerous. But these Wasps piled up huge hours and many had more hours in the
air than most combat pilots. They were good. Real good.

Regards,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: