Old December 21st 03, 01:04 AM
vincent p. norris

Not quite sure what your question is.

Let me rephrase it, Emmanuel:

1. Were not all WASPS stationed in the US?

2. Did they ferry airplanes to England? If so, did they they then
fly RAF aircraft around Britain, or did they promptly return to the
US?

I'm not asking about ATA, or the British use of British women to ferry
airplanes, which I think is what Art is talking about.

If you are wondering
why American WASPS would be flying British fighters,
then the answer must be that before Jackie Cochrane joined
the WAFS and leader became the commander of the WASP,
she spent some time in the British ATA. For about a year
and a half, a group of American women volunteers (the
organisation began before Pearl Harbour) flew for the
ATA. Some stayed with the ATA until the end of the war.

OK, I understand you to be saying "No" to my original question.

As to whether these women flew high-performance fighters,
certainly, and bombers (much heavier on the controls) as
well.

Yes, I know the WASPS did that, but was it not limited to
American-made fighters and bombers?

vince norris