Old January 30th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Transponder Antenna

On Jan 30, 4:26*am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:27 pm, Rick Fuller
wrote:

I'm seriously considering installing a transponder
in our Discus CS. *Does anyone have any experience
with the dipole antenna model L2 made by Advanced Aircraft
Electronics (AAE) and sold on the Wings & Wheels web
site? *It seems like a good solution for an internal
antenna in a fiberglass fuselage. *Mounting location?
*Orientation? *Test results?

Thanks in advance.

Rick 'CL'

Please guys, contact the manufacturer (or rep) and get a
properly designed and approved installation. Antennas
transmitting near the panel will yield unhappy results
with your other avionics and PDAs and gadgets.
Really.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Here's an example of a proper installation,
though you cannot see the internal reinforcements
etc:
* *http://www.nadler.com/antares/DaveLandingAntares.jpg

Good point, Dave.......................I know of one case where the
L-2 antenna interfered with the GPS antenna because they were too
close to each other (both under the hood). The L-2 manufacturer tells
us to keep it 5 feet away from pilot or passengers. I'd make a curved
plate from the provided balsawood (they don't want it glued directly
to fiberglass) and locate it as far back in the tail boom as I could
reach with a 5' stick. It should be vertical and this can be
accomplished by curving the balsa plate to match your fuselage side.
Put it on the side away from the elevator push-rod. Easiest done with
fuselage on its side.Epoxy the antenna to your balsa plate first and
have the lead all hooked up, then goop up the plate with epoxy and
place it in the desired location and let gravity keep it there until
the epoxy dries. One wrap of masking tape will keep the antenna on
your stick and can be removed after epoxy cures. Remember to support
the lead (RGU-58) about every 3', so it can't flop around. Could slide
a plastic tie down your pneumatic tubes and secure the lead to them.
Best to have the output checked...................which I haven't got
around to, yet, but Reno,Sacramento and Oakland are reading my squawk
and with my PCAS telling me who's close and I feel quite safe these
days. It even lets me know when someone (7V) leaves the
thermal........................Leaching aid!
JJ