Old September 19th 19, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Kawa rough landing?

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 6:59:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
"The only solution is prevention..." this is the same philosophy the faa has used in eliminating spin demonstration from private licensing and imop has led to a marked degredation in pilot awareness and skill., The very fact that a pilot becomes disoriented in the early stages of a spin or becomes uncomfortable when pitched into a steep bank is the very reason one needs to experience it again and again at altitude. The very act of physically experiencing the sensations both real and percieved during spin approach and entry become THE essential tool in survival.

As for outlandings, multiple experiences create a memory resevoir of knowledge in making very fast decisions and corrections which turn what could be a glider damaging landing into one that just raised the pucker factor a little bit.
Its the very fact that we rarely experience spin and rarely experience outlandings and can't handle them when they are thrust on us that is a large factor in the many fatal accidents we see today.

My comment clearly referred to spins in the pattern, not spin recovery at altitude, which still must be taught and practiced. A friend of mine killed himself when he spun in while faced with his first off-airport landing. He had recently completed all of the required glider training, which included spin recovery. But when you well under 1,000 ft AGL the prospects of a successful recovery are dim, at best. It is FAR BETTER to fly coordinated while in the pattern, with an appropriate speed margin, than to try to recover from an unusual attitude at very low altitude. Surely you must agree with this.

Tom