Old August 6th 03, 04:45 PM
vince

"Brett" wrote in message ...
"vince" wrote:
| Fred J. McCall wrote in message n
| :
| :However Ireland has been occupied and held since 1172 or there
abouts the
| :south release in the 1920's
|
| I think that's wrong. I didn't think they actually took over
Ireland
| until Liz I.
|

| The Military occupation of Ireland began under Strongbow and Henry II
| The Treaty of Windsor in 1175 recognized the military conquest.
|

| http://www.rte.ie/culture/millennia/history/0711.html

From your link: "Before Henry VIII came to power in 1509 the English had
little influence over Ireland. Henry feared that foreign or domestic
enemies would use Ireland as a base for attacking him."

Apples and oranges. Henry VII was worried that the Anglo-norman
military occupiers of Ireland would use it as a base. Not the native
Irish.

Ireland was essentially a proprietary colony. Large land grant were
awarded in Ireland to anglo norman soldier adventurers who coudl then
go and fight to take the land from the locals.

vince