Old March 10th 04, 11:46 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Carl Buehler wrote:
Hello,

One of our clubs members just bought a PW-2 Gapa.
He is one of our clubs (TBSS-Tampa Bay Soaring Society) CFI-G's.
Weather did not permit soaring last week. But we are hoping to get the Gapa
soaring this weekend.

Any of the Pilots on R.A.S have any stick time in the PW-2 Gapa?
We would like to hear your comments on this primary glider.

Carl

We have one at Avenal. There's a "instructor's description"
at www.soaravenal.com, under "aircraft".

I thought it was a hoot to fly! Closest thing to a hang glider you're gonna
get and still be a glider, I suppose. I'd imagine you could slope
launch it easy with wing runners.

Since it doesn't have sides to the cockpit, you gotta have
some big hairy huevos to fly it. Also, I found that two
sets of eye protection were better (after my goggles leaked
one time on tow).

It's ridiculously easy to assemble/disassemble. And it doesn't
penetrate at all, but thermals better than a 1-26 in tight because
of the super low stall speed. Landings and stalls are just
a cinch.

The tow pilot should really give a discount because it is so light
I'd love to see some pilots get their Silver altitude in it. That'd
be something to see in Soaring magazine :P

I hope he lets others fly it "like the village bicycle." Ours is
$7 a flight...
--

Mark Boyd