Old January 2nd 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Rosenfeld

Default flaps again

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:51:57 -0800 (PST), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

I've often met pilots who use no flaps on landing in very gusty
conditions or stiff crosswinds. I've tried this and don't really see
the benifits. Like a lot of things it's probably mostly in the head. I
think the higher touchdown speeds invovlved and the resultant float
only prolong the agony.

Flying a short-bodied Mooney, I would agree 100% with that comment.

I use full flaps for most landings. If the crosswinds or gusts are such
that I could not use the chosen runway, I have an alternate plan in mind.

The higher touchdown speed, and longer runway required landing with 0 flaps
versus 1/2 flaps versus full flaps is significant in my airplane, but does
not and should not present any kind of control issue.

I've used 0 flaps once out of necessity (landing with an iced up airplane
after getting into unforecast icing conditions); and I use 1/2 flaps
landing out of a CATII approach to minimums. Otherwise its full flaps.
--ron