Old June 29th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
a[_3_]

Default Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

On Jun 29, 3:27*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Wingnut writes:
does not say anything like that; it only
says she has a commercial pilot's license, with no further detail. Since
that is the post that we are debating here, as far as I am concerned
everyone bringing up Cessnas is pulling them directly out of their ass.

Patti DeLuna herself indicated that she only had about 300 hours of
experience, and has only flown small Cessna aircraft (specifically, a Cessna
210).

Our givens are solely that she has a commercial pilot's license and was
able to successfully assume the copilot's role during the landing of a
jumbo jet.

She did not "assume the copilot's role," an assertion that many first officers
might resent. She merely sat in the copilot's seat and followed the pilot's
instructions.

... as part of your efforts, in partnership with Mxsmanic, to denigrate me.

Nobody is in partnership with me.

Assuming facts not in evidence is, of course, an illicit debating move.

Looking things up, on the other hand, is pretty effective.

This claim *might* have been more credible had it come from someone who
could spell "certified" correctly.

"Certificate" is a real word. It is slightly different in meaning from
"certify." To certify means to attest to something. To certificate means to
issue a certification. However, the FAA and others use certificate mainly
because it contains more syllables and therefore sounds more important.

In the meantime, the important matter
here is not the absolute number but the percentage, about which no claim
has yet been made by you.

The majority of commercial pilots fly little planes. Remember that airline
pilots generally hold airline transport pilot certifications, which are not
the same as commercial licenses.

Personal anecdotes are a notoriously poor substitute for actual evidence.

But research goes a long way, and so does an understanding of how the FAA
certifies pilots.

Yes, your opinion of me is unfortunately quite clear to all, as is the
fact that you're the type of person to air such opinions, about people
who have done nothing offensive to you to provoke you, in public. You
should grow like an onion with your head in the ground.

Why not discuss the topic, instead of other people?

As a matter of minor interest, there's an interesting logic trap in
play here. I think it is safe to say all holders of the airline
transport rating also hold commercial certificates at least in the US.