Old June 11th 04, 11:43 AM
Kevin Horton

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:26:54 -0600, Legrande Harris wrote:

I need to buy a landing light to mount in a fiberglass cowl. I have been
looking at Zenon HID's, halogens, etc., but the most powerful seems to be
a halogen Spotlight.

I am not sure what the current draw is but I would guess about 6 amps? I
will strip the batteries off of it and run straight from the planes power
supply.

What am I missing here? Beam shape? Heat? Power requirements? Weight?

I can buy these things at Walmart for about $60. When I was younger, I
used to use them for spotting and they sure light up everything : )

LG

The few spotlights I've played with had a fairly narrow beam. But and
aircraft pitch attitude and heading (if there is a crosswind) changes
quite a bit during the latter part of an approach and landing. So a good
landing light has a wide enough beam to keep the landing area lit even
though the aircraft attitude is changing.

So, don't be surprised if you find a spotlight doesn't make a very good
landing light, if it has a narrow beam.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada