Old June 2nd 05, 03:34 PM
Ray Lovinggood

One additional practical advantage to the fuselage
mounted TE:

If you forget to remove the TE probe from the fin-mounted
position and close the Cobra/Komet top with the glider
inside the trailer, you'll end up with another bend
in the TE probe.

That won't happen with a fuselage-mounted TE probe.

(Since I have a funky tube trailer, that isn't possible
with my ship. So, it didn't happen to me.)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 13:30 02 June 2005, Bill Daniels wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have not received my soaring magazine yet this month
but I hear there
is an article dealing with fin mounted vs fuselage
mounted TE probes.

Anyone have thoughts on this issue?

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I read Dick's article with interest. He did his usual
incredibly through
experimental work to support the probe design.

I see several advantages to the Johnson probe.

1. It's likely to be less sensitive to yaw with its
single hole aft.
2. Shorter tubing runs that can be easily inspected
and replaced if needed.
3. It eliminates the danger of breaking the fin mounted
probe while
installing/removing the tail dolly.
4. Possibly faster and more accurate vario response
since acceleration and
line capacity errors are reduced.
5, One less part to install (or forget)

Bill Daniels