Old November 16th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Firth[_4_]

Default Static Ports question

Inthe good old days, when stall speed was less than 30kt,2 seaters
had an open cockpit, no one bothered with static ports; even in a modern
sailplane the cockpit static is usually within a knot or two
of nominal. it is useful to have a tap which opens the static line
to cockpit in case , (as often happens to me, the static ports have sent
water into the line, creating an offset, or the tape to prevent this has
not been removed) you want the ASI to show something meaningful.
However, from a practical test I can tell you that an air extractor
will add 4-6 kts to the reading at approach speeds if you use cockpit
static.
AS has happened to me on a number off occasions, the
ASI shows something ridiculous, some practicebeforehand without itcan
reduce the anxiety.

John F

At 22:50 15 November 2013, wrote:
On Friday, November 15, 2013 4:41:58 PM UTC-5,
wro=
te:
On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:06:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote: On

Fr=
iday, November 15, 2013 12:20:19 PM UTC-5, C2 wrote: What would
happe=
n if 2 sets of static ports (under the wing and on the tail boom) were
conn=
ected to my ASI? It will generate huge static electricity and
shock=
you severely. Thanks for the smart ass answer to a simple question.

Would
=
it adversely affect my airspeed reading?

Answered in the 4th message containing no smart ass answers.
UH