Old June 18th 14, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_2_]

Default Fatal crash Arizona

At 01:18 18 June 2014, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:47:20 PM UTC+12, CindyB wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:15:07 AM UTC-7, Jim White wrote:
May I offer a practical tip? Talk to yourself all the way up the

launch
a safe height (perhaps 500ft), deciding where you will go at every

moment

Delightful. Since it was about a hundred posts ago I offered the same

concept, may I say, "Thank you."

!!!!

It would never have occurred to me that this was not assumed by all in

the
conversation.

Here in NZ, students are frequently asked "where would you go now?"

Bruce, one would hope that this is how most people do it, but my experience
is different. I am not a full instructor but do coach xc soaring to people
who have already got their wings. When I suggest this to the people I fly
with I usually get "that's a good idea, I never thought of that" so I
presume it is not generally taught.

Asking 'where would you go' does not demonstarte that your pupil is doing
this, he may just be good enough to come up with a sensible answer on the
fly, that time. Asking him to tell you where he would go all the way up to
a safe height would tell you, the instructor, very much more about what his
thought processes are and how well he could handle an emergency.

Just my penny's worth.