Old June 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default OTA -- a new twist to "call me when you land"

Roy Smith wrote:

Pilot: OK, tell you what, give me a phone number where I can call you after
I land.
I've heard controllers ask pilots to give them a call, but this is the
first time I've ever heard a pilot insist on calling.

LiveATC.net has a recent recorded exchange in their audio clips forum of an
Air Canada pilot getting into a ****ing contest with a Toronto departure
controller because the controller responded "Enough!" to the pilot's
repeated attempt to negotiate past a speed restriction on the busy
frequency.

The pilot then kept insisting on initials and a phone number, to which the
controller declined. It was a very interesting and it continued after the
hand-off with the next controller. A case of a bruised ego that just
couldn't let it go.

If I have time I will download and listen to the LiveATC archives for the
exchange in your example. It might be out there.

Things actually got
a bit more bizarre when, a few minutes later, the HPN ATIS was advertising
Mike and the controller was insisting that somebody should have November :-)

Man, I had that happen once at Syracuse. ATC accidentally skipped several
ATIS letters, jumping from J to P or something like that. When I called
clearance with Juliet, the controller lectured me that there was no way
that I could have received the ATIS, given that they were now at Papa.

I kept my mouth shut (no insistence of a phone number here) and was
rewarded with an airline pilot calling clearance right after me with ATIS
"Juliet."

--
Peter