Old June 2nd 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:50:40 PM UTC+2, Kerry wrote:
Great point. Been using the last 2 GOES hi-res satellites since, I think, Walt Wx posted them. Some beta sites for those are still active and offer additional weather and navigational overlays.

Any cleaver techies out there that could find a way to stream this product into a glider at altitude? I looked into Stratus, Sirius and direct satellite (ADS-B?) but don't see they offer this.

You can already get the realtime GOES high-res satellite photo on an LX9000 (with the wifi module, tethered to your phone) via the SkySight integration.

Even if the signal is very poor, it will keep trying until it gets through. Don't put your phone in the side pocket against your carbon fuselage though, mount it somewhere clear of the canopy rail.