Old March 17th 04, 06:06 PM
Cub Driver

Saddam Hussein could attack Britain within 45 mins?

Or could unleash battlefield WMDs within 45 mins? By all appearances,
this was a reasonable statement, and one that Saddam would have agreed
with.

But I don't really understand why an intelligent gent like Blair would
have advanced a causus belli that involved the enemy's ability to
retaliate against an invasion. Surely the logical answer to that would
have been: so don't invade!

There's no imminent threat in an enemy's ability to respond on the
battlefield. I doubt Blair argued that, and I know Powell didn't.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:13:35 -0000, "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
.. .
Simon, you are conflating two ideas here. I remember no such
statement, at least not by Bush or Powell, to the effect that Saddam
could attack us with WMDs in 45 minutes.

45 minutes was a central part of Tony Blair's war sales pitch to the UK
populace.

Si

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)