Old August 15th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

Greg Esres wrote in
:

True enough, provided the approach clearance is issued crossing that
fix.

Ok, so the controller says "Cross DOCAP at or above 2,100, cleared OLV
RNAV 36."

You agree that this is ok, even under the old procedure, because the
fix is an IAF? And do you agree that "Cleared direct to DOCAP,
maintain 2,100" is essentially the same clearance?

Greg,

What you say above are not the same clearance.

Your first one clears me for the GPS 36 approach to the airport.

Your second one only clears me to DOCAP. If I am cleared direct to DOCAP,
then my take is that DOCAP is my clearance limit.

I better hear something before DOCAP or I will be asking if I am cleared
for the approach. If I don't hear anything then I would just hold at DOCAP
(direct entry from my 006 heading) and await a further clearance.

Allen