Old December 7th 19, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS3a oxygen cylinder specification

My gas supplier (Matheson-TriGas) finally scrapped all the steel E cylinders they had. I picked through the pile before they did and only got a couple of decent ones that weren't too rusted and banged up. Had them sandblasted, hydrotested and repainted. Unfortunately, I sold the last one three years ago and haven't been able to find any more. FYI, the diameter of the steel E cylinder is 100 mm. The Mountain High E&S equivalent AL-415 is 111 mm (4..4 in.) as is the AL-682. The cylinder lengths are 410 mm (16.2 in.) and 650 mm (25.6 in.) Neither of them will fit into an LS or Schleicher cylinder receptacle. (At least models through the ASG-29. I don't know whether the newer gliders have been changed to accept aluminum cylinders.) Unfortunately, European glider manufacturers do not take into account the needs of pilots flying in Western soaring conditions. I am regularly called on by European visitors to Moriarty for assistance in modifying their tiny little O2 systems to accommodate long high altitude flights.